I fear tricksters have stolen my compassion



Growing up I was taught to be kind, compassionate, generous and loving. I was taught to help people in need and that has been my lifestyle, however, I fear tricksters have stolen my compassion. 

It’s a phenomenon that you could be on your way somewhere and end up short of cash. You probably forgot to collect your change from the bus conductor who said he didn't have change for your 1,000 KSH or 50 GHS. Olet's say you misplaced your wallet, purse or phone. Another instance could be a misfortune like get robbed and you’ll need help from a fellow person to complete your journey. In the case where you can't be sure you’ll get someone to pay your fare if you charter a taxi to the destination.  

In this instance, your only option will be to ask, beg and plead with someone to come to your aid. It’ll be very easy for someone who witnessed your predicament to help you out than some other fellow who has no idea. You walk up to them with your story and they have to decide whether to believe it and help you or not. 
But here is the twist. You help such people out because you can relate to their story. You remember when it happened to you and you had to trek about 4 miles because no one helped you. You help them out because someone told you a story of how they could have saved a life by helping some strange guy who stopped them for help but didn't all in the name of it was a trick but turned out true. You help because your religious belief says to help the poor and needy.  

You meet him or her the first time at bus Station 1, then there is a second encounter at bus station 2, then the third meeting at bus station 3. By now you have fully ascertained it's the same person and the same refined story. Only thing is you have been able to make them out but they can't make you out. So, the next time they stop you to ask for your help maybe at bus station 4 you've had it with all their tricks. You confront them and they just feign ignorance or claim it is an issue of mistaken identity and runoff from you only to meet and ask you again at bus station 2 another day. 

It’s probably happened to you huh!  You might have been approached by a young man posing to be a student from the University of X, Y or Z depending on where you are meeting the person.  Or you could have been stopped by a woman with a baby on her back with quite a compelling story. Oh, I'm sure you have heard of the guy who has a medical prescription and needs just a top-up amount to buy his drugs from the pharmacy.  

These are few instances I've encountered and others have shared with me of situations where people come up to them asking for aid and help. Usually, because of compassion we will extend a hand of help.  
After witnessing this betrayal and abuse of my compassions, my attitude towards people who walk up to me to ask for help has changed. 

I don't trust any story any person tells me. I will even look scornfully at them because of the last incident of extortion. It’s more like tricksters have stolen my compassion. On occasions where I do give, it doesn't happen because I'm having compassion but just to get them to leave me alone.
  
Have you encountered or heard stories of these confident tricksters, care to share?  

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Oh Wow ... Try not to think Far

Here are some life lessons from Jeff Bezos, Amazon CEO